Why We Exist
Why We Exist
MCJC Adult Torah Study Class - 5760
The MCJC Adult Study Class is studying Duties of the Heart by Rabbi Bachya ben Joseph ibn Padqua. Rabbi Margaret Holub asked the class to quickly jot down the reasons why we exist and what is the aim and purpose of existance. Then the results were shared with the class. The responses are given below.
- To be, to see, to do, to learn, to be part of creation
- To appreciate moms and dads and children and beauty
- to be totally alive and aware and see what is needed
- joy - dance - create
- I naturally first think of the scientific fact of evolution - humans appeared as a natural result of the ever more complex evolution of life. (Humans are the only living creatures who are detrimental to the earthly home).
- To love, to create, to serve, to seek knowlege, to know more of the divine.
- No way at all to know, possibly:
- to give God a good laugh
- to learn and be a partner for imperiled creation
- to pulse, to flow, to sing, to howl, to see, to birth, to cry, to create, to know, to not know, to dance, wrestle, laugh, struggle, to die.
- To exist
- To heal/make the world whole
- To give energy to the system
- To improve one's soul
- To repair the world
- We exist to further mankind by procreation - but ideally it wlso be to try to understand the Creator and the universe and thus to bring harmony among each other.
- To create a better world
- To find G-d in all things
Copyright 1999 MCJC
Updated 11/27/1999 (rge)